Tate has started soccer again. Actually, he started in February. One of the perks of living in the south- you can start spring sports in February. It is a little different from Cedar Falls rec soccer. Up there it was coached by college kids and was basically a lot of running around and talking. Down here they take it a BIT more seriously. It is coached by a parent and there are drills and positions and games with refs. The first practice that I attended (Joe took him to the first couple), my blood pressure almost went through the roof! Tate's coach was yelling at the kids and making them do things over and over if they didn't get it right. And then there was more yelling. My first instinct was to run out and pick Tate up and cuddle him (my mama bear claws came out). They are only 5 and 6 years old! Simmer down, coach. I realize that as our kids get older and involved in things, they will get yelled at and have to take criticism from a coach or teacher, but I think at this age it isn't necessary. I keep asking Tate if he likes it and likes his coach and he says yes. It doesn't seem to be affecting him like it is me. And in all honesty, I think his behavior has been better lately because he is involved in something competitive (he is very competitive) and has something to do. So, I guess I will keep my mouth shut............unless the coach starts yelling at Tate, and if that's the case, this momma's out on the field. He's only 5.
I don't think I could take it either! My heart would be breaking. I have a feeling Max would start crying and run off the field if he got yelled at! like mother, like son:)
ReplyDelete