Friday, September 20, 2013

Back home again

We recently got back from a quick trip to Iowa for my grandma's funeral.  My sweet grandma passed away two weeks ago and it was unexpected for us.  Grandma Jean was the most fun and hip grandma ever.  She was always asking about others and was always positive and upbeat.  She was so much fun to go visit and have tea with and I have many, many great memories of her while I was growing up.  Here are just a few:
  • all of her old "wive's tales".  The funny part was I think she really believed most of them!  The best one she ever told me was if your baby had a gunky eye, squirt breast milk in it and it will clear it all up! (really works, too!)
  • the vacations grandpa and grandma took the grandkids on while we were young.
  • Christmas morning.  She always had an apron on and greeted us at the door standing under mistletoe.  She made a huge breakfast for everyone and it was such a special time.
  • playing cards with her
  • she always had a Kleenex in her sleeve
  • whenever we went out for breakfast with her, she let us eat the jelly out of the little tubs.
We all flew up two weeks ago Saturday and the funeral was on Tuesday.  Joe, Tate and Adria flew back to Georgia on Thursday and Troy and I stayed a few more days until the next Wednesday.  I am glad I was able to stay and help with things after the funeral and to be with my mom for a little longer.

This was the first death the kids have really experienced, so we didn't know what to expect.  They were very simplistic and black and white about it, so I guess that is good.  Tate and Adria had a lot of questions, but they were good questions and were content with the answers.

We will all miss her so much.  I have always said I want to be just like her when I grow up and I hope I am.

2 comments:

  1. I hope I'm just like her too..love and miss her much..love u too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet post Tracy! I love the kleenex in the sleeve comment. My grandma was the exact same way! Maybe don't do that, but everything else is pretty cool:)

    ReplyDelete