I wasn't as excited to move as I thought I would be. I don't know what it was. The huge buildup, stress or what. Or maybe living in the apartment gave me a different outlook on what we need and can live with and what we can live without. Then I was having guilty feelings of moving into a nice house and feeling like we have so much stuff. And that's all it is, really, is stuff. Don't get me wrong- I like all my stuff, but I have been very aware of it lately. And some of our stuff that was in the storage unit was filled with mold. So we had to get rid of a lot of pieces of furniture and some stuff in boxes. Luckily, so far it has not been anything that has meant anything to me.
And the kids have taught me numerous lessons in the last 8 months. They didn't care we were in an apartment at all. They didn't care that they didn't have their toys. They didn't care that it wasn't nice. In fact, one of my friend's kids thought it was the coolest thing that we lived there. Then when it came time to moving day, everyone was asking if they were excited to move in, and they weren't any more excited than any other day. Sure, they do like having their own rooms and their things back out of storage, but they proved that kids don't need anything but to be with their family and be able to play outside. And Troy misses the apartment and wants me to drive by it all the time :). I think he liked the little space because he was always around someone.
I will admit, I am happier in the house. I am a happier mom and wife. We are not on top of each other all.the.time. I can break up the fighting between the kids by actually sending them to their rooms rather than try to find spots in the apartment to put them! So having more room is definitely nice. And my favorite part of the house is the kitchen. I love love love my kitchen.
It has been great living here so far. The kids like to play outside with the neighborhood kids and we are all loving the house. It will be nice when we can actually be done unpacking to sit down and enjoy it!
Oh, Tracy! I love your kitchen too! Love your perspective; going to have to tuck that one away! :)
ReplyDeleteYour kitchen is amazing. And I learned a lot just talking with you through this process. I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason...you guys were meant to live in that apartment just to get perspective on "stuff" and what's really important. I can't wait to see your house and I'm so so happy for you guys.
ReplyDelete