I made all the arrangements between the kids and Joe and my parents and his mom before I left. Whew! I had to make up a schedule of who was going where at what time and who was bringing them or picking them up. Thanks to my parents (and my Dad-his retirement has come in handy for me a couple of times) and Joe's mom, and of course, Joe, for taking care of everything while I was gone. It was easier this time since the kids are in school and older. This was probably my first trip in over 10 years that I didn't feel guilty or bad about being gone.
We flew out early on a Tuesday morning and flew into Newark. We then used Uber to get us from the airport to our hotel. Super handy and convenient. I would definitely recommend it. We stayed at the same hotel that Joe and I stayed at a couple of years ago when we went, so we knew the location was good and it was nice. On Tuesday, we got there in the afternoon, so after we checked in, we hit the town and just looked around and ate the rest of the day.
On Wednesday, we hit up the Today show! So much fun and we were on TV during the Kathy Lee and Hoda hour. Then we were just out on the town that day and in the evening we went to the broadway show Wicked. It is such a good show. I had seen it before, but it was just as good the second time.
| Rockefeller Center |
| The Today show crew! |
| Kathy Lee |
On Thursday, we went down to the 9/11 memorial and museum. It is such an overwhelming place. The water memorials were beautiful and the museum was beautifully done. It was so impactful and we spent over 3 hours in it, and probably could have been there longer looking around. It is emotionally draining, but it is so worth the time. After the museum, we walked through the different neighborhoods, like Little Italy, Chinatown, the financial district, and Greenwich village. We also conquered the subway that day! We tried to get into another Broadway show that night using the lottery system, but we didn't win :(.
On Friday, we didn't have to fly out until that evening, so we still had the whole day. We scheduled a bus tour of the city, and it is a great way to see the city without walking everywhere. Ours was a movie tour, so we saw all the places that have been in movies. We even got to see the "Friends" building. Then we packed up our stuff and headed to the airport that evening.
| We saw Taylor Swift :) |
| The "Friends" apartment building |
| "No soup for you" from Seinfeld |
We had such a great time and ate at a lot of great places. We walked about 800 miles, so we felt ok about eating so much :) I love the New York city, and it is a great place to visit and have fun, but it made me love my town and home and green grass and space even more!
What a fun few days!! I think you'll have to go back for a 3rd time when we get back home and can go to the US OPEN together!
ReplyDelete