Monday, July 28, 2014

Tate's camp

About a month ago, Tate went to an overnight camp at Pine Lake in Eldora.  He was there for 3 nights.  When I signed him up, he wasn't thrilled about going.  I tried to talk him into it, and the only thing that seemed to make him want to go a little was that he would have his own money to buy candy and snacks.

He knew he would have one of his good friends there, and that also helped.  He loves his friend Noah, and they get along so well.  They both seem to have a lot of the same personality traits and interests.  So knowing he would be there and they would be in the same cabin was a small comfort.  Also, I could send him daily emails that they would print out and deliver to him, so he would know we were thinking about him.
Tate's cabin mates

I felt a little guilty making him go to a camp that he wasn't thrilled about going to, but that's how Tate is.  He never wants to try something new, until we make him and then he loves it.  I thought it would be the same here.  That didn't happen though.  He had a good time and didn't get homesick, but I asked him if he wanted to go back next year and he said he probably wouldn't have to!  I guess he didn't have an awesome time like I thought he would. 

The weather could have been a factor, since the first night he was there, they had severe weather and a tornado warning.  The next day was bad weather too, so that put a damper on a lot of the camp activities.  It was stressful for this mama too- having your child in a cabin with a tornado spotted in the area!

The best was when Adria, Troy and I went to pick him up.  I was excited to see him and thought he would be excited to see us also.  I found him in the game room and I said from the doorway, "Hey, Tate!"  He looked at me and waved and continued playing his game.  So heartwarming. I was expecting him to run over and either hug me or tell me all about what happened the past couple of days, but all I got was a wave.  Oh, well.  I never said he was the most affectionate kid!

1 comment:

  1. So sorry!! I feel bad that he didn't have that great of a time. Perhaps they can just enjoy running into one another when we're back. :)

    ReplyDelete