Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Christmas 2011

Sorry, I am a little late posting about our Christmas, but we have been going nonstop and the 15 hour drive to Iowa and back kind of takes it out of a person!  We needed a day or two to relax and catch up around here.  So, let's start from the beginning........

We gave Santa instructions when we visited him that he needed to stop at our house a couple days early.  He said no problem!  Tate was quite concerned about that until we talked to Santa!  So on Thursday morning when we woke up, Santa didn't disappoint!  Tate, of course, woke up first and went straight into Adria's room to wake her up.  Then they come running into our room bursting at the seams with excitement.  We told them we have to wait for Troy to wake up before we go downstairs.  Of course, that is one of the days Troy decides to sleep in a bit.  Ha!  Finally, after a half an hour of waiting (pure torture for the kids), I went in to wake him up so we could go downstairs.  The older kids are at a perfect age, because they "get it" this year more than the other years and it is fun to see their excitement.

Setting out cookies and milk for Santa and carrots for the reindeer the night before.

Santa came!  See that BIG present in the back- that was MINE!

Troy makes me laugh.  Every time we have a camera or computer or a phone or any gadget out, he has to have it!

Sweet baby! He couldn't have cared less about any of his presents!



I was so proud of the kids. Before Christmas, we discussed how to accept a present graciously, even if it wasn't something you asked for or it was something you already had. And the Christmas at our house didn't bring the one thing each of them wanted most (a Nintendo DS for Tate and a doll head with hair and make-up for Adria). But neither of them whined or was overly disappointed. Although, Adria did say to Joe "I told Santa I wanted a doll with make-up, but he didn't bring me one".   To which Joe replies "well, you don't get everything you want." And me, feeling sorry for her, reminded her that we had a few more Christmas' to go.

Joe surprised me with a Kindle Fire. I asked for the plain old kindle, but the techno geek guy that he is had to get the one with all the bells and whistles. I love it though! He also gave me one of those vacuums that goes around by itself. He says he wanted to help me out around the house!  I'm not quite sure how I should interpret that. 

Later that day we left around 4ish to drive to Iowa! The trip up was good because we were so excited to go back and we had just opened up presents. We traveled all night and the kids did awesome. Didn't hear a peep or whine out of them!

On Christmas Eve we went to an awesome service at our old church and got to see a lot of friends there.  Then we went to church again at my parents church.  We were very blessed that day!

The kids before church.  Troy is thrilled.


He is growing up sooo fast!  Look at how old he looks! 

On Christmas day we went to Joe's family to celebrate.  It was chaotic and crazy and fun because his sister and brother were home with their families.  That is 11 children!  The kids love hanging out with all of their cousins.  That evening, my sister was home and we did Christmas at my parents house.  It was so much fun to see everyone and we always have a good time with each other.  And opening presents with my side of the family always brings up good holiday memories.

Nana and Tate

See Ellie in the background?  Her and Adria were BFF and inseparable the entire time!

Tate wore this same Christmas outfit 5 years ago!

Nice, Joe!
Terrace helping Troy open a gift.


Tate getting the ONE thing he really waned- a Nintendo DS!  Thanks Terrace!

Adria opening the ONE thing she wanted- a doll that you can put make-up on and do her hair.  Look at the joy on her face!  So sweet!

Joe and I think the doll is kind of scary.  Especially when it is just sitting on the counter or table and you see it out of the corner of  your eye!

Waaaayyy past bedtime!  No more opening presents for him!

We were very busy the entire week running between the two families and trying to see everyone.  But being that busy means we are very blessed to have so many people to share Christmas with.  I am very blessed that I have two grandma's still alive and I got to see some cousins that I haven't seen in years.  We also got to see some good friends Chris and Beth and their sweet kids and new baby, and had a good dinner with Dallas and Marissa and Chris and Rachel.  We miss our friends dearly, but love that we can catch up when we are home. 

Then we had the loooooong drive home.   And we celebrated New Year's in the car! Woooohooooo! Joe and I looked at each other and whispered "Happy New Year" to each other because we didn't want to wake the kids. We are soooooo crazy and wild. Troy had not been sleeping well while we were in Iowa, and if he never sees a pack-n-play again, he will be happy.  At one point and the end of the week, Joe had to drive around with him for 2 hours in the middle of the night!  When I put him in his crib for a nap when we got home, he giggled and snuggled in.  That kid loves his crib and his sleep!

It was such a good Christmas and was so fun to see the kids opening gifts and being with cousins and family.  Joe and I had a great time seeing siblings and hanging out with the family.  I am so thankful that I have wonderful in-laws and two awesome sister-in-laws!  And I am thankful for my family and my sister.  We all have so much fun hanging out together and I am happy everyone could make it back.   Now everyone's back to work and school and it is back to our normal daily routine.

1 comment:

  1. Love the post and pictures! We missed you the minute you walked out the door! You are an awesome sis-in-law as well!!!!

    ReplyDelete