Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Troy's broken arm

My poor baby Troy has a bright blue cast on his right arm. :(  Last night I was making supper and Adria and Troy were sitting on the chairs at the bar coloring (the same chair he is sitting on in the previous post in his underwear).  He reached over to get another color and fell off the chair.  I knew something was wrong when he didn't cry as bad as I expected him to, and then he would move his arm at all.   Ugghhhhh.

I sat with him until Joe got home then I took him to after hours care at our doctor's office.  I was hoping it was nursemaids elbow and it was just out of joint.  The doctor thought it was probably that also and tried to get it back in the socket.  She wasn't successful and Troy was screaming so much it broke my heart.  She said to wait until morning to see if he could move it.

Well, in the morning he still wouldn't use it so we went back in and they sent us to get X-rays.  The X-rays didn't show any fracture, but he had fluid around the elbow, so there was obviously a trauma there, and to be safe they put a cast on him.  They said it might be a hidden fracture and with young kids they want to play it on the safe side because it is a growth plate and they want to be sure.  So he has to wear this cast for 4 weeks!

He was such a trooper this morning.  He didn't cry at all and just looked at them like they were crazy when they were putting the cast on him.  When I went to get him from his nap, he was trying to get it off and telling me "off, off".  Poor baby.  How do you tell a 2 year old he has to keep it on for 4 weeks?

Now he is walking around the house banging it against things (on purpose).  He found out he couldn't use two hands to eat and he found out he couldn't color.  And he can't take a bath for 4 weeks.  Fun stuff.

I feel so awful that this happened and wish I could take it from him.  At least it is not super hot out, or pool season.  This 4 weeks could not go fast enough for this little guy!

Could he be any cuter?

1 comment: