Monday, June 27, 2011

Charleston

Joe and I enjoyed a kid-free weekend in Charleston, SC. It was wonderful! Charleston is a beautiful old city and there is so much to see.

At first, I was hesitant to leave the kids overnight. They have never spent the night with anyone besides Joe's parents or my parents. But we found a wonderful babysitter, who is an adult, that we feel comfortable with. Miss Kat truly loves being with the kids and is excited to babysit. She was also one of Tate's preschool teachers, so we got to know her throughout the school year (hence, the reason why she is known as Miss Kat in our house). I was really nervous about leaving Troy, since I have never left him overnight before, but of course he was fine and was a great baby for Miss Kat. And his smile when we got home was priceless!

In Charleston, Joe and I walked around the open air market, took a carriage ride tour of the city, went to a plantation that had beautiful gardens, and ate at really good restaurants. We stayed at an awesome bed and breakfast that was close to the well-known Rainbow Row (a row of colorful houses that is photographed a lot). There is tons of history in the city, and the tour guide for the carriage ride showed us tons of historical places and houses and churches. (I should have brushed up on my history before we went!)

A view from our carriage ride:
Our bed and breakfast: (I wanted to take the bikes and ride around the city, but Joe didn't want to. He's a party pooper.)
Rainbow Row:
Magnolia Gardens:
Magnolia Gardens:

There were a lot of families there hauling strollers with hot, sweaty, and whiny kids. And this time, that wasn't us! When we first got to Charleston, we went to get something for lunch and Joe and I both commented how light and free we felt! Literally, we felt lighter. We both said we need to do this more often. Maybe one trip with the kids, one trip without them. Sounds good to me!

1 comment:

  1. What fun!!!! You two look so wonderful!! By the time you read this you will be in IOWA!!!!!! The kids are SOOOOOOOO excited to see their cousins! We can't wait to catch up and hear all!

    ReplyDelete